Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool

So, the deal is that I've now been overweight for more than a decade. When I graduated from high school ('91), I weighed 115 pounds. College graduation ('96), 125 pounds- more, but certainly a respectable weight. After working for about a year, I was at 138 pounds, and I remember thinking, "I should really get this under control now". Ahahahahah! As it stands, I would LOVE to weigh 138 pounds. I actually don't know how much I weigh at the moment. I finally unearthed my scale from a moving box, but the battery is out, so... scary reveal to come. I shudder to think.

Most people start their weight-loss journey at some sort of milestone. New Year's day, birthday, anniversary. I was going to start in January (with Oprah), but have procrastinated as usual, and here we are. April Fool's day- pretty appropriate, actually. I'm blogging this experience in the hope of shaming myself into good behavior. I stole this idea from weight watchers (although their phrasing might be SLIGHTLY different). I think the public weigh-ins are genius, and the bell-ringing for pounds lost is great. I think they should take it a step further, though, and for those who fall off the wagon, maybe sound a grim toll. Better yet, how about a good, hard slap on the face and a, "shame on you". That'd slim you down right quick. Anyway. I'm depending on you all to keep me honest and on the right path. Slap those Oreos out of my hands if you must.

So, this initial post is a shameless call for support and encouragement, but I'm also hoping for any advice you may have. I get the whole eat less/exercise more thing, but any little tricks would be great. As long as it's not that maple syrup/cayenne craziness, I'm willing to try pretty much anything. My day one plan is to not eat between meals or after dinner, and to start walking/jogging tonight. I'm going to strive for normal portions, rather than my usual lumberjack-sized. A jump-start would be great, but ultimately, I need sustainable changes. A life free of chocolate is unrealistic for me, but half of a bag of M&Ms is probably not a great serving size.

So... here goes. Heidi Klum, watch your back.


4 comments:

  1. YAY I'm the first commenter!
    I love your writing, you always crack me up.
    I'll be a cheerleader for you, and I think you're off to a good start with the things you listed.
    GO Meg GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first entry reads like a witty, inspirational novel. Thanks for letting us be a part of your journey and know that we love and support you each step of the way. BTW...those white cheddar cheese rice cakes really aren't too bad tasting, but unfortunately, I've always had a thing for processed cheese. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! (Said in the voice of the guy who is in all the Adam Sandler films.)

    Seriously, you can. I think you're off to a good start. No eating between meals is tough for me as I become (la, la, la....) the human trash compactor, eating whatever snack the girls don't finish. Sigh.

    For April I am doing the 30 initiative- you exercise for 30 minutes everyday (and cleaning the house counts!). I don't know how to post a link or I would.

    GO MEGAN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I too, am struggling with weight, and have for ever. I have lots to lose, and I am doing Weight Watchers and working out as much as I can reasonably do and still have my TV time!

    I weigh in publicly on Mondays on my blog, and it tends to keep me a bit more on track than I would be otherwise...it is one thing to give up in private...but outwardly in blogland? Not sure I can now!

    ReplyDelete