Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jogging? Jiggling.

I'm so glad I made the choice to go for my maiden jog under the cover of darkness. I don't even want to know what I looked like, puffing around the block. This is what I did: walked one loop (warm up), jogged one loop (almost fatal), and finished with a cool-down loop. Just a moderate-sized block, so no biggie. But, since I get winded going up the stairs, it was an accomplishment of sorts. I'll just do this for a couple more days before I step it up. I need to be one of those people (liars) who claim to be "addicted" to exercise. Really, it's so much easier to be addicted to ice cream.

I'm going to start a reason of the day for this weight-loss. So... reason of the day: general ugliness. Man, there is some serious unsightliness going on. In addition to garden-variety fatness, I have about a yard of excess skin on my abdomen from the twins (plus stretch marks, natch). I also still have diastasis from that pregnancy, which means that my innards are out, so the midsection is just plain wrong. I am dreading the day that someone asks, "So, when are you due?". And the chins... don't get me started.

Okay, so I have to build some incentive into this process that does not involve Krispy Kreme. I think the obvious choice is clothes. Maybe every 10 pounds, I'll give myself a mini-spree (at Target, probably). Those of you who have threatened to send in my name for What Not to Wear will support this idea, I think. Clearly, I have no style of my own, so I may have to recruit you for shopping. Helpfully, my mother continues to offer clothing that she no longer wants, or clothes that are too big for her now (grr). However, I really think there's a limit to how much Liz Claiborne a 35-year-old should have in her wardrobe. Even I turn up my nose at double pleats. I admit that she has some nice things, but I'm afraid she over-estimates the grooviness of her taste. Example: She swears to this day that she saw her Rockport sandals on a model in Vogue.

Alrighty. Thanks for the support guys!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great start! I don't know if you can be *addicted* to exercise, but it can get less dreadful.

    And I feel you on the general ugliness. My answer- change really quickly and in the closet where my body can't be in view of the peanut gallery. Miss A the other day remarked about the "smile" in my butt- aka the banana roll under my butt. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and when the baby tries to nurse on my muffin top because it resembles a boob when I am laying down, real nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you girls have an excuse! What can I say except: FERTILITY DRUGS and their nasty side effect of weight gain.
    Seriously Megan, you're writing CRACKS ME UP.
    Good job on the jogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I clicked through via Ashley's blog!

    My sister and I are currently on a weight loss quest. We are both doing Weight Watchers, I've actually lost 42 pounds (yay) but I still need to lose like 15 more (boo).

    I'm looking forward to coming by and seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete